It’s becoming that time of year again! Yes, you heard right, it’s the end of March, almost the beginning of April which means it’s time to get messy, elbow to elbow with your best buds and go to town your favorite freshwater crustaceans. But how do you throw such a party that is simply irresistible and unforgettable? Here are six insider tips for your perfect crawfish boil bash.
1. Acquire the best mudbugs around. Everyone knows the best crawfish come from Louisiana, but other popular harvesting states are Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and the Carolinas. To ensure you have the freshest meat in town, buy live and purged yabbies. Keep in mind bigger isn’t always better in this instance; smaller crawfish with softer shells sometimes have a sweeter flavor. Note that you should have 1-3 lbs per person.
Not close to a popular watering hole? Have no fear, for scrumptious crawfish are attainable via various different websites such as lacrawfish.com (Louisiana Crawfish Co.).
2. Assign the boil-captain & embrace the process. Choose wisely, as this person is in charge of the gold that everyone’s there for. This shouldn’t be their first rodeo; they should be well aware that a very large pot is in order (2:1 quart per pound ratio for pot size), preferably one with a perforated insert, not to mention an outdoor propane burner. Sure, you can do the boiling inside, just be aware your house will be smelling like mudbugs and spices for the next week or so.
There’s no such thing as over-seasoning. Make sure to taste the boiling water – that should be full of whole heads of garlic, onions, lemon, and celery – before dumping in the crayfish. To add some more pizazz, toss in your favorite smoked sausage, corn on the cob, potato, and any other tasty veggie you may desire.
3. Before commencement, give a quick how-to lesson. Chances are most people at your bash are seasoned boilers, but you will probably have a couple newcomers. After the perfected steaming crawfish and seasoned veggies are dumped onto the newspaper-topped table, provide a short tutorial on how to tear apart the little guy, snarf down his tail, and don’t forget suck out his head juices! Encourage everyone to eat everything – it’s all delicious.
4. The BEER! Thought I’d forget the second most important part of the boil? Ha! Crawfish pairs best with any light pilsner-style beer. It’s vital to have something cold and crisp that will complement the spices. Steer clear of heavy beers today – it’s not the day you want to fill up on that!
The spices in your boil aren’t quite enough? Spice up your bash even more with customized Coolies that are sure to get your crawfish boil bash into the newspaper – and not the one that just got annihilated on your table.
5. Compensation & leftovers. We all know these boils aren’t cheap! Luckily, most people are willing to chip in a little to ensure the success of the party. A less-awkward way of asking for donations are to hand out little crawfish boil cups at the end to take home in return of a little $5 donation.
Why toss out the leftovers when you can relive the same amazing experience tomorrow for lunch? You can also find countless recipes online for yummy crawfish boil potato salads. I may be biased, but my favorite crawfish potato salad recipe by far is that of my grandma’s. All you need are as followed:
1 pound of quartered boiled red potatoes
1 chopped up link of andouille sausage
2 boiled ears of corn, kernels cut from the cob
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 clove of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme
½ cup of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of fresh chopped oregano
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
½ teaspoon of paprika
¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
Once you’ve acquired all these goodies, simply:
1. Toss the potatoes, sausage, and corn into a large bowl, then
2. in a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
3. Bring it all together and mix to evenly spread out all the deliciousness.
Ready set go! For party favors, get your guests the gift that keeps on giving: custom crawfish boil Coolies! Get started by clicking here or by going to https://www.coolienation.com/crawfish-boil-koozies/
Upload any type of file, image, logo, photo, etc and one of our designers will incorporate it into your design proof!